Tuesday, July 26, 2016

When the timing is right

A couple weeks ago, I wrote about our Sweet Little Dog passing away.  Its funny how often I think of her; how often I still get a little choked up.  I miss her dearly.  I'm pretty sure no dog out there could cuddle as well as she could.  Wether it was a stubbed toe or a horrible case of strep throat, that little dog could make anyone feel a little bit better.

She will never be replaced.

I assumed that it would take me a long time to even want to look at other dogs, but I was wrong.  I quickly became that weirdo on the street who pointed out every dog that passed within 20 yards.  I petted every dog that I could, and I'm sure I made more than one dog owner feel a bit uncomfortable...hey, is this crazy lady going to try to take off with my dog.  I think, along with missing Sweet Pepper, I just missed the companionship.

So it didn't take long before my children's (and husbands) requests to go and look at the dogs at the shelter were answered with, "yes".

It started with a dog named Tater.  He was an 11 year old terrier.  I told myself repeatedly not to fall for an old dog, that my heart can't take another loss too soon.

But we went, and he was so sweet.  The kids fell in love instantly (although I'm pretty sure they would have fallen in love with any of the dogs instantly).  I started to go down that path too.  That was until the shelter representative told me that Tater had just had half of his teeth removed, and would soon need the other half removed as well...to the tune of $1500.00.  Yikes.  I mean, we all adopt dogs knowing they are going to cost money, but to have a bill that big right off of the bat was something we just couldn't take on.  So with my upset, whiney, unhappy, and begging for me to reconsider, kids in tow, we looked around at the other dogs.

There was the typical set:


  • cute puppies playing (and peeing) happily.  No kids, we ARE NOT getting a puppy. 
  • dogs who wont stop barking
  • nervous older dogs, all of whom seem to be calling to me to take them home
  • and that one, the quiet one, sticking her head around the corner trying to get up the nerve to come out and say hello.  

Those quiet ones always have a way with me.  

We managed to leave the shelter dog free that day, but I just could not get that quiet one out of my mind.  So a couple of days later we went back, and she was still there, and still shy.  We took her outside and played with her a little, and she started to come out of her shell a little bit.   The next day we went back AGAIN, and by this point she had my heart.  

So we took her home.  I'm so grateful that we did.  

Her name is Bergy and I'm sure you will be hearing lots about her.

Our goal was never to replace Pepper, we couldn't even if we wanted to.  But it sure is nice to have a dog around again.

Oh and PS.  Tater got adopted out the same day that we took our Bergy home.  A great big THANK YOU to Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter for helping animals find forever home and helping people find new friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment